Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Attraction Origins

I was talking with a friend the other day and we were discussing how people develop taste as it relates to dating and attraction. Is it our parents? Environmental influences? Peers? Social norms? While we agreed there's not only one or wrong answer as to why, we explored our own reasoning.

I tend to be attracted to "tall, dark and handsome" regardless of the cliche, that is my liking. I can trace back the physical attributes to more than one source. For example, dark skin...my father is a shade of ebony with a special hint of hazelnut. As he plays an integral part in my life, so does that specific feature. However, height was not something that originated from him. I cannot trace the original source but I can think back to high school, my senior year...I had a boyfriend that was chocolate and 6'3, I haven't seen men quite the same since him. It's now the very first thing I notice about men.
Now that I think about it, I believe the height affixation stems from my maternal grandfather, who was about 6'5...which explains why my mother is 5'10. He had color changing eyes and his skin resembled that of a ripe bosc pear. He was just as sweet...sometimes;)

Anyway, can you remember where your attraction rules originate?

No comments:

Post a Comment